Sunday, January 13, 2013

Hoots and Musings

 Long-Eared Owl
Northern Saw-Whet Owl

Today I went on a field trip with a local Audubon Society to Iowa to look for owls. We saw 4 species, and 2 that I had never seen before! Northern Saw-Whet Owl (new one for me!), Long-Eared Owl, Short-Eared Owl (another new one for me!), and a Great Horned Owl. It was ridiculously cold, but totally worth the trip. Missed out on some pics of the Short Eared Owl, but we saw some hunting at dusk. I hope to go back and see if I can find them again. 
My break from dog agility is coming to an end very soon. While I am excited to start training and competing again, this break has been awesome. I've been able to get out and do lots of exploring. I've seen a lot of things that I don't think I would have seen if I had kept on with my busy agility schedule. I think both myself and the dogs will be coming back from break with excitement and a fresh start to the new year. It also helps me put things into perspective- while competing and training my dogs is a wicked fun hobby- it is important for me to get back to Nature and see what it has to offer. I feel that same level of excitement whether it be an awesome run with one of my dogs, or snapping a photo that really exceeds my expectations. It's all about balance. Nature has taught me that.

No comments:

Post a Comment